China Visa

— How, When & Where to Apply
If you are not a customer but have a question on China visa application, plesae ask by email. Thank you for your cooperation!

How and Where to Apply for China Chinese Tourist Visa

China Tourist Visa

What are the documentation requirements?
1) passport, 2) completed visa application form, 3) a photo, 4) air ticket and 5) hotel confirmations. See below for detailed documentation requirements.

How long does it take for the visa to be issued?
Four business days unless you ask and pay for rush service.

When should I apply?
Within 90 days of travel or whenever you like if you are a citizen of the United States or Canada or any other country with which the Chinese government has a reciprocal agreement that grants to each other’s citizens multiple entry visa valid for multiple years.

Whom do I mail the application to?
Please wait till your tour is booked for further instructions.
Getting visitor/tourist visa to China is a process easier than many perceive. Under most circumstances, it only takes the Chinese visa office 4 business days to process an application. To ensure a hassle-free experience, please take the time to understand the requirements and then follow them exactly as asked.

The visa is imprinted onto a blank “visa page” in the passport. Therefore, the applicant has no choice but to leave the passport with the visa office for a few days.

Completed Visa Form Sample

Note on Visa Form Printing
The visa application form created by the Chinese government is oversized for your printer’s default setting, meaning the top and bottom of Pages 2, 3 and 4 can get cut off if you don’t resize the form. Google’s Chrome is the best browser for this as it automatically selects “Fit to page” for you. With Microsoft Internet Explorer, Apple Safari and Firefox, you must manually adjust the setting for desired printing result.

Documentation Requirements
You must have the following ready:

(1) Passport
— Original passport with at least six months of remaining validity and with two blank adjacent pages for the visa
— A photocopy of the passport’s data page and of the photo page if it is separate from the data page.
— Water damaged or heavily soiled passports are not acceptable.
— Endorsements and Observations pages are not counted as blank pages for visa.

(2) Visa Application Form and Photo
One completed and signed Visa Application Form per applicant accompanied by a recently-taken colour photo of passport type (bare-head, full face against a light background). The size required is 48mm x 33mm, but 2 by 2 inches should be fine according to our experience. You can download the China Visa Application Form here.

(3) Round trip plane reservations and hotel confirmations.

(4) Proof of Legal Status (for those not applying in their country of citizenship)
If you are not applying in the country of your citizenship, you must provide the original and a photocopy of your legal document validating your resident status in the country where you apply for the visa.

(5) Photocopy of Previous Chinese Passports or Previous Chinese Visas (for former Chinese citizens)
If you are applying for Chinese visa for the first time, you should provide the last Chinese passport you held and a photocopy of its data page. If you have obtained Chinese visas before and apply for a Chinese visa with a renewed foreign passport that does not contain any Chinese visa, you should present the photocopy of the previous passport’s data page and the photo page if it is separated from the data page, as well as the previous Chinese visa page. If your name on the current passport differs from that on the previous one, you must provide an official document stating the name change.

Visa Fee*
– Canadian passport holders: $100 CAD (same for single, double or multiple entry)
– US passport holders: $140 USD (same for single, double or multiple entry)
* Handling agency’s service fee and courier charge are extra. We have entered into agreements with visa service agencies in USA and Canada to help our customers save money.


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do you have a blank visa form for me to download and also a completed sample to show me?
A: Yes. Here are the links to the blank visa form and the completed sample.

Q: How soon will I get my passport back if I go through you?
A: The passport with visa imprinted inside will be returned to you 8 business days after our receipt assuming your application is in good order. Rush service may be available at higher cost. We use traceable priority service by Canada Post to return passports.

Q: Do you have a list of the Chinese consulates and embassies?
A: Yes, click here for the current list.

Q: I live in Canada. Can I apply on my own?
A: Yes. You can do it either by setting up an appointment directly with the Chinese embassy/consulate or via Chinese Visa Application Service Center, which maintains offices in Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver.

Q: Why do you need my original passport?
A: The visa will imprinted inside your passport on a blank visa page. They can’t issue your visa without your passport. Your government may advise against leaving your passport with anybody else but, if that “anybody else” is a foreign government from whom you need service, that advice from your own government should be ignored.

Q: When should I apply?
A: Any time within 90 days of intended arrival in China. However, we recommend applying within 80 days of travel. Once the visa is issued, you have 90 days to arrive in China or else it’ll expire.

Q: Can I get a refund on visa fee if I couldn’t  travel as planned?
A: No. It’s the same thing with your passport issuance. Once it is issued, you cannot cancel it and ask for a refund. But your travel insurance should cover you for such loss.

Q: How many days should I ask for on the application form?
A: Always ask for a week or two longer than your actual trip duration. For example, if you book a 12-day tour with us, you should ask for 24 days or 30 days on the visa form. It doesn’t mean you have to stay that long. You will find the extra days helpful if you must stay longer due to unexpected circumstances such as medical problems and natural disasters.

Q: Tibet Entry Permit, what’s that?
A: It’s a visa in addition to the visa that allows you to enter China. Any international visitor to Tibet (Lhasa, Shigatse etc) must have it. The good news is that you don’t have to do anything about it because our China office will take care of this for you at no extra cost. All we need from you is a clear photocopy of your passport and Chinese visa.
If your trip includes Tibet and you choose to apply for the Chinese visa on your own, you must contact us first before submitting your visa application.

Q: Are there any special rules for applicants born in China and of Chinese ancestry?
A: Applicants born in China including Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau, must provide their name in Chinese characters in the appropriate box of the visa form. They must also provide a photocopy of one of the following IDs issued by their current country of citizenship in addition to their current passport:
– current citizenship card/certificate
– or an expired passport issued by current country of citizenship

Q: What else should I know or watch out for when filling out my visa application?
A: See the list below.

If you never had a legal Chinese name, please answer N/A.

If you are a married woman using your husband’s surname, you do not need to mention your maiden name under “Other or Former Name”.

You do not need to mention all the cities. Listing two of them is adequate. In most cases, these should be the points of entry and exit.

Please be sure to contact us for advice if your trip includes Tibet.